You can still see the Stars

Wednesday, March 26, 2008


I did some cowboying over the last few days. They say you cant take the farm from the boy and I assume that to be true, especially when you go to visit your rural roots. I was quickly put to work sorting out firewood and fixing fences and feeding an assortment of critters large and small. It felt good and right. I have half a mind to buy myself a farm. I enjoy the natural surroundings and clean country air. Theres tranquility beyond the sphere of pollution and noise found in the metro centers of the city infrastructure. The street lights and sodium phosphorus lamps smear the night sky with a greasy halo of artificial sunlight creating a perpetual haze of twilight, effectively rubbing out the ribbon of stars that wreath our skies. Its nice to know that something great still exists just outside the blight of civilization. The heavens still shine brightly on those who choose a simple life.




4 comments:

The Devil Uno said...

Pitchfork
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A pitchfork is a tool with a long handle and long, thin, widely separated pointed tines (also called prongs) used to lift and throw loose material, such as hay, leaves, grapes, or other agricultural products. Pitchforks typically have from 2 to 6 tines and have different lengths and spacing depending on purpose. It is similar to a spading fork, and the two are often confused. It is made from wood, steel, iron, bamboo, 2 types of metal mixed, etc.. Many people use the pitch fork on farms. It is an agricultural tool.

Zanitram said...

Can I spend the night in the loft? as a roaming farmhand?!

The Devil Uno said...

Zanitram I will hire you as my personal boot black. You may buff the boots, Sir!

Unknown said...

If there were only a pig in the picture, I could make pitchfork and cloven feet jokes.